Get Involved! How to Turn Your Local Shelter into A No-Kill Shelter
You often hear people talking about High Kill shelters, and the importance of saving the animals housed there before they are put to sleep. You may think to yourself, why don’t they just turn the High Kill shelters into No- Kill Shelters and save the animals’ lives? Well, it is much easier said than done. If you have a High Kill shelter in your area, these are some of the steps to take to help turn it into a No-Kill shelter. They may be challenging, but they will help to save lives!
1. Start by reading the book Redemption by Nathan Winograd. “Redemption is the story of animal sheltering in the United States, a movement that was born of compassion and then lost its way. It is the story of the “No Kill” movement, which says we can and must stop the killing. It is about heroes and villains, betrayal and redemption. And it is about a social movement as noble and just as those that have come before. But most of all, it is a story about believing in the community and trusting in the power of compassion.” (Nathan Winograd)
3. Help inform all the workers, volunteers, and owners/overseers of the animal shelter about the No Kill Equation. These are alternate steps to take instead of killing animals.
4. Don’t settle: Demand endorsement of the United States No Kill Declaration.
5. Require accountability: Seek the passage of the Companion Animal Protection Act.
It will take time to complete these steps. Until then, help to keep the euthanizing rate down by doing the following:
1. Help spread the word about the animals in the shelter by posting about them on Twitter or Facebook, emailing friends and family, talking to the media about the animals in the shelter, or distributing flyers.
2. Foster an animal until they can find a forever home. And if you can’t foster, try to find people who can.
3. Give them a forever home.
4. Help the shelter by transporting animals to foster homes or forever homes.
5. Keep pressuring the people associated with the animal shelter and informing them about the importance of No-Kill shelters and provide them with valuable information such as how many animals are euthanized there each month. Then explain why euthanizing is wrong. (BUT DON’T HARASS THEM!)
Most importantly, DO NOT GIVE UP! You are the voice for the animals in that shelter. Show everyone that euthanizing them is not the answer, but providing them with a LIFE is!