What is Geothermal Energy?
Geothermal energy is a clean, renewable energy source that is made from the heat of the Earth's crust.
How Does Geothermal Energy Work?
The temperature of the Earth’s surface and surrounding air will change with the different seasons. What you may not know is that the temperature under the Earth’s surface remains the same! The constant subterranean heat of the Earth is what makes the Geothermal energy process possible.
The following two examples use Geothermal energy: Geothermal heat pumps and Geothermal power generation.
Geothermal Heat Pumps
This brief video below will explain about Geothermal energy in a residential home. Check it out!
Now that you understand how Geothermal energy works to heat and cool homes, remember the two KEY points mentioned in the video:
1. People save money because of lower heating bills. Less electricity is being used.
2. No fossil fuels are being used- no oil or gas. (Non-polluting to the environment!)
As you know, kids love to learn from other kids, so we asked Kids Mob member, Dominic, to review in his words how Geothermal energy works. Thanks, Dominic.
Geothermal Power Generation
Let’s take a virtual walk-though an industrial Geothermal power plant which will explain to you how the Geothermal energy process works. Check out this short video below. It will show you how ELECTRICITY is made!
Our Kids Mob member, Maya, came up with these interesting facts that she learned and wanted to share with YOU! Thanks, Maya.
• “Geothermal energy is made inside the Earth.” 
• “The word geothermal comes from the Greek words geo (earth) and therme (heat).” 
• “Geothermal energy comes from the heat stored in the Earth’s core, about 4,000 miles/ 1,609 kilometers below the surface, and heat from the sun warming the Earth.” 
• Geothermal energy has been used for thousands of years in some countries for cooking and heating.
In 2010, the International Geothermal Association listed the top ten countries that are using Geothermal energy power generation as a source for providing electricity to homes and businesses. Here are the countries: United States, Philippines, Indonesia, Mexico, Italy, New Zealand, Iceland, Japan, El Salvador, and Kenya. 
You can see that Geothermal energy is being used around the world as a safe, renewable, and efficient energy source. We hope you enjoyed learning about this form of energy.
The ISF Kids Team
Send us videos and photos of YOUR pets! We want to see them, share them and give people a reason to smile. Send them to ISFKIDS@gmail.com. Make sure to get your parent’s permission. Try to keep your photos and videos of your pets only (no people!) because we can’t show any kids on our blog. Sorry, we still love you!
1. Science Kids, Energy Facts
2. Energy Kids, US Energy Information Administration
3. Energy 4 Me
4. Green Bang, Which Countries Produce The Most Geothermal Electricity?