As you know our Division is getting batty this month and devoting much of our webpage to those wonderful creatures… bats!! Since a lot of families will be together this weekend, why not sit down and enjoy a movie together? To go along with our running theme of bats, this month for our ‘dinner and a movie’ pick we have chosen Stellaluna! Don’t worry parents and kids: this is a movie everybody in your family can enjoy together as it’s (we’re not giving away spoilers here!) a movie adaptation of the children’s book! Since Stellaluna herself is a fruit bat we’ve chosen a Cinesnack that your family, friends AND your neighborhood fruit bats would all enjoy!! (Please don't really try to feed this to any of your bat neighbors!)
Tropical Fruit Salad with Coconut Cream1
- 13 ounces coconut milk
- ¾ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ watermelon, rind removed and cubed
- 1 golden ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 kiwi, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
1. To a mixing bowl add the coconut milk, confectioners sugar, lime zest, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined, cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours.
2. In a mixing bowl or large food storage container, stir and combine watermelon, pineapple, kiwi, and mango.
3. Remove coconut mixture from fridge and, using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, whip until mixture reaches a smooth, creamy, Greek yogurt-like consistency, about 2-4 minutes.
4. Spoon fruit into serving bowl and top with a dollop of coconut cream. Serve chilled.
NOTE: For storage, the fruit salad should be refrigerated in a covered airtight container. Coconut cream should be refrigerated in a separate covered airtight container.
***Please be aware of food allergies before making and serving this salad, and kiddos, please ask your parents for help in preparing it!***